What’s it like going through a medically-induced menopause? Not fun is the short answer! I spoke with India Fisher about it for her ‘Be More Orca’ podcast. Note: Trigger warning – the blog, podcast & transcript talk frankly & intimately about the menopause, Breast Cancer & life/death. Alt Text: A cartoon of a blond haired […]The ‘Be More Orca’ podcast.
Suzanne from the Musings of Spu is a disabled person who experienced breast cancer.
In this blog, she shares very openly about hormone positive breast cancer (of which there are different types; for example, she was ER (Estrogen) positive, I was both ER and PR Progesterone positive).
The big thing for people who are pre-menopausal or peri-menopausal is that in addition to surgery, and chemotherapy or radiotherapy (or both or neither, depending upon the person; I had chemo, Suzanne had radiotherapy), the other treatment is medically induced menopause.
And because the breast cancer is hormone positive, HRT or other hormone boosting treatments to ease the symptoms of menopause are not appropriate.
This seems to be a very little known fact.
I’ve had so many people suggest HRT or natural hormone boosters to me and I’ve had to break it down for them about hormone positive cancer and the implications of HRT or similar.
Related blog posts: Cancer
- Blackberries & Prescribed Burning (an allegory for cancer & chemo)
- We are the Ancestors
- Act III
- Tips and tricks ~ Cancer Edition: Pre-Surgery
- Sunday 24th October 2021: Cancer Journal 17 ~ Chemo Edition
- Counting the Days
- Sunday 03rd October 2021: Cancer Journal 16 ~ Chemo Edition
- Milestones along the way
- Thursday 09th September 2021: Cancer Journal 15 ~ Chemo Edition
- Fuck Cancer
- Friday 13th August 2021: Cancer Journal 14 ~ Chemo Edition
- Haunted Temple, Sacred Vessel
- Friday 06th August 2021 (Cancer Journal 13)
- Friday 23rd July 2021 (Cancer Journal 12)
- The hospital week: first week post-surgery
- Wednesday 14th July 2021 (Cancer Journal 11)
- Sunday 11th July 2021 (Cancer Journal 10)
- Monday 05th July 2022 (Cancer Journal 9)
- Monday 21st June 2021 – Surgery Date (Cancer Journal 8)
- Plaster Cast
- Thursday 03rd June 2021 – the worst meltdown
- Sunday 30th May 2021: Cancer – telling your colleagues
- Friday 28th May 2021 (Cancer Journal 7)
- Friday 28th May 2021 Plastic Surgeon
- Wednesday 26th May 2021 Cancer Clinic
- Tuesday 25th May 2021 Left Breast Diagnosis
- Friday 21st May 2021: Biopsy, Left Breast
- Tuesday 18th May (Cancer Journal 6)
- Monday 17th May 2021 Arranging the biopsy
- Saturday 15th May 2021 (Cancer Journal 5)
- Wednesday 12th May 2021 (Cancer Journal 4)
- Friday 07th May 2021 (Cancer Journal 3)
- Cancer surgeon
- Sunday, 02nd May 2021 (Cancer Journal 2)
- Saturday May 01st 2021 ( Cancer Journal 1)
- Facebook post
- How to tell people you have cancer.
- Deciding strategies
- The Camus Question of Choice
- The Follow-up Tests
- The phone call.
- Check your breasts